Important Dates for Workshop Submissions
March 15 Proposal deadline for Workshops (This date will not be extended)
May 1 Deadline for making changes to accepted workshop proposals
May 11 Deadline for all accepted workshop presenters to be registered and paid in full
May 11 Deadline for all workshop presenters to have hotel reservation
Information About Workshop Submissions
- Each ASHS Professional Interest Group is allowed (not required) to submit one (1), one & one-half-hour workshop proposal for presentation at the Annual Conference. Twenty-five workshops will be approved by the ASHS Board of Directors for presentation during the conference. Notification of acceptance will be completed by April 15th. For those groups that are selected to present their proposed workshops, the Group Business meeting will be incorporated at the end of the workshop. The time allocated to the workshop will be 1.5 hours with an additional 30 minutes at the end for business meeting.
- Workshop proposals may be developed by one or more ASHS Groups or Committees. Individuals or special interest groups shall work through an established Group or Committee if they wish to develop or suggest a workshop. However, only one Professional Interest Group can be designated as the workshop proposal primary sponsor. Additional Professional Interest Groups can be listed as secondary sponsors but only the primary sponsor will have the group's business meeting incorporated into the session's assigned time. A Professional Interest Group can only be a sponsor (primary or secondary) on one workshop proposal. (Thus, a group cannot submit a workshop proposal and be listed as a secondary sponsor on another proposal. A group also cannot be a secondary sponsor of more than one workshop proposal.)
- It is more important to focus on elaborating on the topic, relevance/impact of the topic, a detailed description of the planned format for the workshop, an overview of the goal of the workshop, proposed speakers/panel participants and the importance of their perspective on the topic. Because only twenty-five workshops will be selected for presentation, it is encouraged to be as detailed as possible. Abstracts can be submitted for workshop speakers in the workshop proposal, but they are not required (the details related to the importance of the speaker’s role/perspective are the areas that are most important). If you elect to include abstracts for the speakers, it is the responsibility of the workshop coordinator to upload them to the workshop proposal. Note: There is NOT a $25.00 abstract submission charge for workshop abstracts. If you receive a prompt requesting payment while trying to submit a workshop abstract, you are in the wrong system.
If your Professional Interest Group feels strongly that they do not want to follow the workshop structure as detailed above, there is an opportunity to submit a "Planned Oral Session" to be reviewed for approval and placement in the conference schedule.
Please note: In order to be considered for this type of presentation - the following criteria apply:
- There must be 6-8 scheduled speakers - abstracts are required. (Maximum of 8 speakers)
- All speakers must have their abstracts submitted at the time of review (March 15th).
- Each of these abstracts are subject to the abstract $25 submission fee (these cannot be transferred from the oral abstract submission site). The fee can be paid by the moderator or each individual speaker, however, they must all be paid by March 15th when they are submitted for review.
- There is a special "Planned Oral Session" submission site. Again, these talks cannot be submitted in the regular oral submission site nor in the workshop proposal site.
- Only one planned oral session OR one workshop proposal can be submitted from each Professional Interest Group.
- Please contact Negar Mahdavian for assistance if you are interested in this session type.
All workshop speakers must be registered for the conference. ASHS members must register and pay in full the appropriate registration fees.
Invited non-member speakers* are limited to three per workshop (non-member invited speakers are not an eligible designation for Planned Oral Sessions - oral abstract rules apply to the submissions). Their registration fee is waived for the entire conference. However, they still need to be registered in advance by the workshop coordinator. Please contact Negar Mahdavian to make arrangements for the registration of non-member invited speakers.
- Workshop proposals are due March 15th - this date will not be extended. All speakers for accepted workshops must be confirmed by May 1st and be registered by May 11th. No changes will be allowed to the workshop after May 1st.
- If a Group chooses not to submit a workshop (again, it is not required that a Professional Interest Group submit a workshop proposal), the group officers will be contacted to see if a scheduled meeting is requested. Group business meetings for those groups not holding a workshop will be scheduled either from 7:00-8:00 AM or 6:00-7:00 PM during the ASHS Annual Conference so that it does not conflict with other sessions. Groups may also choose to not hold a face-to-face meeting and conduct their Group business via the ASHS Group Online Communities on the ASHS website throughout the year. If an answer is not received from the officers, the assumption will be made that business will be conducted face-to-face at the conference.
- Workshop manuscripts may be published in a subject-appropriate ASHS serial publication (HortScience, Journal of ASHS, HortTechnology)
as part of a proceedings pending acceptability (the manuscripts will
be peer-reviewed and must meet the same standards as any published
manuscript). Organizers of the workshop proceedings are invited to write
a brief introduction to the workshop (one published page maximum). The
workshop organizer is responsible for ensuring that all workshop
participants submit their manuscripts to the ASHS Online Peer Review
System within 6 months of the occurrence of the workshop. Publication
costs shall not be borne by the Society (i.e., the papers shall be
subject to publishing fees).
*Non-Member Invited Speakers
If at any time the person has been an ASHS Active Member within the last five calendar years (for the purposes of the 2018 Conference, if he or she was a member between 2012 and 2017), then the person is not eligible to receive complimentary registration as a non-member invited speaker for a workshop, special session, or symposium.
If you have questions in regard to submitting a workshop proposal or a "Planned Oral Session", contact ASHS Headquarters at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.836.4606 ext. 107.