The ASHS Outstanding Undergraduate Educator Award recognizes an educator who has had a distinguished and outstanding undergraduate education teaching career in horticultural science for a period of 10 or more years.
Established in 1985.
ASHS encourages excellence in teaching and research. The award recognizes distinguished contributions in horticultural science for 10 or more years.
Nominees must be Members of ASHS, actively working, and not previous recipients of the award or former equivalent awards. Nominees are considered actively engaged in research, extension, or teaching if a substantial portion of nominees' current effort is involved in the activity, regardless of the their employment.
Nominators must be active Members of ASHS.
Selection committees recommend recipients for each award. The final selection is made by the ASHS Awards Committee. Recipients receive plaques during the annual Awards Ceremony; there is no monetary stipend.
The nomination process includes the following:
1) Nominee's curriculum vitae.
2) A brief (not to exceed 500 words) letter indicating the reason for nominating this individual. This letter should identify the major contributions on which the nomination is based and explain why the nominee is especially qualified to receive this award. Each of the following criteria should be addressed in the statement:
- Content and nature of courses taught, with emphasis on organizations, innovative teaching materials, and ability to communicate with undergraduate students.
- Impression on undergraduate students by mastery of the subject, teaching techniques, attitude, and vision. Summaries should be included if available.
- Extracurricular activities, such as student advisor or coach.
- General services to horticultural science, the profession, and the industry as a teacher primarily at the undergraduate level.
- Leadership in horticultural science teaching and orientation toward students.
3) Three to five letters of support, including at least one from another institution.
4) Nominees not selected for the award in the year of the initial nomination shall be kept on file for automatic consideration again the next year, without requiring renomination.
Deadline for applications is February 4.
Please complete the form below to nominate someone for this award. Please have all requirements ready in order to submit the application in full. You are not able to access an incomplete application at a later time.