Pi Alpha Xi, at the 1995 Annual Meeting in Montréal, approved the establishment of a program to provide matching funds for local chapters' scholarships. The Scholarship Program will support the society's mission of promoting and fostering scholarship in Floriculture, Ornamental Horticulture, and Landscape Horticulture. By providing funds to each chapter for a scholarship, the program will impact a large number of students. By providing matching funds the program will encourage chapters to be active in generating funds as well as promoting Pi Alpha Xi.
Beginning in the 1996 Fall semester, Pi Alpha Xi will provide matching funds up to $100 to each active chapter for support of a scholarship. If all active chapters participate in the program the maximum allotment would be approximately $3000 each year. The Scholarship program will be evaluated every two years to determine if the program will continue.
Procedures for Distribution of Matching Funds
- Chapters will establish their own guidelines and develop procedures for selecting the recipient and awarding the scholarship.
- Chapters must establish a Pi Alpha Xi Scholarship designated account within the university accounting system. (Pi Alpha Xi recognizes that universities may have different procedures for handling scholarship funds: if a special account cannot be established contact the National Secretary-Treasurer to discuss other options of receiving the funds.)
- Chapters must match the $100 maximum provided in one calendar year by Pi Alpha Xi National. Chapters may provide more than $100 for the scholarship, but are limited to $100 maximum from Pi Alpha Xi National. Chapters are encouraged to seek funding through contacts with alumni as well as local industry.
- Chapters contact the Pi Alpha Xi Executive Secretary with the name of the recipient, the total amount of the scholarship, and the chapter advisor's or departmental scholarship chairperson's address to which the check should be mailed.
- Pi Alpha Xi will send a check to the university to be deposited into the account.
- A check is issued to the recipient, after the local chapter deposits the matching amount into the account.
- The recipient Chapter should send verification after the scholarship has been awarded. This could be a copy of the award letter, or a copy of the award check.