- About Us
|Who We Are|
What ASHS Is
The American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) is the world’s premier professional society for horticultural science. Founded in 1903, the mission of ASHS is to promote and encourage national and international interest in scientific research and education in horticulture in all its branches. The more than 2500 ASHS members in all 50 states and 60 countries around the world fulfill this mission by sharing the results of their research, teaching, and extension activities with their colleagues and humankind the world over.
Who we are
• We are researchers, teachers, and extension educators
• We work at universities, in government, and in industry
• We are in every state and many other countries
What we do
• Our members use horticultural science to address major issues facing our nations and our world.
• Provide the research that keeps our fruit, vegetable, turf, and ornamental crop producers competitive and allows them to raise their crops sustainably.
• Educate tomorrow’s researchers and teachers in specialty crops.
• Educate tomorrow’s fruit, vegetable, floral, and nursery crop growers.
• Translate the latest fundamental research into products and practices that improve our health, communities, and environment.
• Improve rural economies by supporting profitable horticultural production.
• Train the stewards of our urban and suburban environment.
• Improve food security in central cities by making urban farms and gardens successful.
• Improve sports and recreation through better natural playing surfaces.