Important Dates for Workshop Submissions
April 8 Proposal deadline for Workshops
May 1 Deadline for making changes to a workshop proposal (including speaker changes)
May 11 Deadline for all workshop presenters to be registered and paid in full
Deadline for all workshop presenters to have hotel reservation
Information About Workshop Submissions
- Each ASHS Working Group is allowed one (1) one and one half-hour workshop at the
Annual Conference. The Working Group Business meeting will be incorporated at the end of the workshop. The time allocated to the workshop will be 1.5 hours with an additional 30 minutes at the end for business meeting.
Workshops may be developed by one or more ASHS Working Groups or Committees. Individuals or special interest groups shall work through an established Working Group or Committee if they wish to develop or suggest a workshop.
Proposals are to be submitted by a designated workshop coordinator. The coordinator will be the main contact for the Headquarters staff on workshop related matters. The coordinator designates the workshop moderator and speakers and is responsible for all submissions related to abstracts of individual presentations.
A workshop should emphasize participation, often with problem-solving or hands-on efforts. Because of this, a workshop usually has a somewhat narrow focus or interest and appeals to a relatively small audience. It is less structured than a colloquium.
Abstracts are encouraged for workshop speakers but are not required. It is the responsibility of the workshop coordinator to select and upload abstracts. If you choose to include an abstract (this is encouraged), do not submit it through the ASHS abstract submission site. All abstracts are to be submitted by the workshop coordinator. Note: There is NOT a $25.00 abstract submission charge for workshop abstracts. If you receive a prompt requesting payment while trying to submit a workshop abstract, you are in the wrong system.
All workshop speakers must be registered for the conference. ASHS members must register and pay in full the appropriate registration fees.
Invited non-member speakers* are limited to three per workshop. Their registration fee is waived for the entire conference. However, they still need to be registered in advance by the workshop coordinator. Please contact Negar Mahdavian to make arrangements for the registration of non-member invited speakers.
- Proposals to be submitted by the designated workshop coordinator.
- Workshop proposals are due April 8, 2016. All speakers must be confirmed by May 1, 2016 and be registered by May 11, 2016. No changes will be allowed to the workshop after May 1, 2016.
- If a Working Group chooses not to submit a workshop, the Working Group officers will be contacted to see if a scheduled meeting is requested. Working Group business meetings for those groups not holding a workshop will be scheduled from 6-7 PM during the ASHS Annual Conference so that it does not conflict with other sessions. Working Groups may also choose to not hold a face-to-face meeting and conduct their Working Group business via the ASHS Working Group Online Communities on the ASHS website throughout the year. If an answer is not received from the officers, the assumption will be made that business will be conducted via the online method (a meeting will not be scheduled).
- Workshop manuscripts may be published in a subject-appropriate ASHS serial publication (HortScience, Journal of ASHS, HortTechnology)
as part of a proceedings pending acceptability (the manuscripts will
be peer-reviewed and must meet the same standards as any published
manuscript). Organizers of the workshop proceedings are invited to write
a brief introduction to the workshop (one published page maximum). The
workshop organizer is responsible for ensuring that all workshop
participants submit their manuscripts to the ASHS Online Peer Review
System within 6 months of the occurrence of the workshop. Publication
costs shall not be borne by the Society (i.e., the papers shall be
subject to publishing fees).
*Non-Member Invited Speakers
If at any time the person has been an ASHS Active Member within the last five calendar years (for the purposes of the 2016 Conference, if he or she was a member between 2010 and 2015), then the person is not eligible to receive complimentary registration as a non-member invited speaker to a workshop, colloquium, or symposium.
If you have questions in regard to submitting a workshop proposal, contact ASHS Headquarters at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.836.4606.