The ASHS Outstanding Extension Educator Award recognizes an educator who has made an outstanding and valuable contribution to horticultural science extension education for a period of 10 or more years.
Established in 1985.
ASHS encourages excellence in teaching and research. The award recognizes distinguished contributions in horticultural science for 10 or more years.
Nominees must be Members of ASHS, actively working, and not previous recipients of the award or former equivalent awards. Nominees are considered actively engaged in research, extension, or teaching if a substantial portion of nominees' current effort is involved in the activity, regardless of the their employment.
Nominators must be active Members of ASHS.
Selection committees recommend recipients for each award. The final selection is made by the ASHS Awards Committee. Recipients receive plaques during the annual Awards Ceremony; there is no monetary stipend.
The nomination process includes the following:
1) Nominee's curriculum vitae.
2) A brief (not to exceed 500 words) letter indicating the reason for nominating this individual. This letter should identify the major contributions on which the nomination is based and explain why the nominee is especially qualified to receive this award. Each of the following criteria should be addressed in the statement:
- A noteworthy career in horticultural extension education leading to an effective program of unusual impact in the horticultural industry of the nominee's state or district and in addition has provided leadership to other extension-type efforts or programs.
- Outstanding and innovative activities, projects, and/or methods that brought substantial and desirable changes in the horticulture industry in the nominee's state or district.
- Other major contributions, activities, and services to horticultural industry and the profession as an extension horticulturist, including special assignments (domestic and/or international), participation in ASHS activities (national and/or regional), membership, and/or use of special audiovisual aids.
- Leadership in horticultural extension activities.
3) Three to five letters of support, including at least one from another institution.
4) Nominees not selected for the award in the year of the initial nomination shall be kept on file for automatic consideration again the next year, without requiring renomination.
Deadline for applications is February 4.
Please complete the form below to nominate someone for this award. Please have all requirements ready in order to submit the application in full. You are not able to submit partial applications or come back to an incomplete application at a later time.