Election as a Fellow of the Society is the highest honor that ASHS can bestow on its members, in recognition of truly outstanding contributions to horticulture and the Society.
More than 500 Members have been accorded this honor in the years since the first Fellows were elected in 1965. Others are deserving of this honor, but they cannot be elected unless they are nominated.
The Fellows Screening Committee notes the following items:
1. Fellow nominees must be Active (with at least 10 years of membership in that category) or Emeritus Members of the Society.
2. The sponsors of Fellow nominations must be Active or Emeritus Members of ASHS; specifically, younger ASHS members are encouraged to get involved in the nomination process.
3. The number of living and "active" Fellows (those who have not retired) cannot exceed 10% of the eligible Membership.
4. The Fellows Screening Committee may stimulate nominations of highly deserving individuals, but members of the committee cannot nominate or second a nomination or a candidate. Thus, the committee primarily serves a screening function to evaluate nominations submitted by members. Its recommendation for election of Fellows is submitted to the Board of Directors for official approval.
5. Completed nominations must be submitted by February 4, after which the eligibility of nominees is verified and all nominations for the year are routed to members of the Fellows Screening Committee for simultaneous consideration.
Nominees not selected for the award in the year of the initial nomination shall be kept on file for automatic consideration again the next year, without requiring renomination.
Please DOWNLOAD NOMINATION FORM Save form to your desktop then complete it. Please remember to save all changes to form. It will not automatically save. When the application is complete, upload it in the following form along with the supporting documents.